Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Sunday, June 28, 2009

34 Weeks

34 Weeks
I had my 34 week check up on Friday. It was a quick "in and out" appointment for the doctor to check my blood pressure, weight, and Lydia's heartbeat... Everything sounded and looked good. Lydia is measuring at 35.5 weeks. Which could or could not mean that she could be a little earlier than expected. I will go back at 36 weeks and then weekly until the big day!

I feel blessed to say that I have been able to truly enjoy pregnancy thus far and have not had too many of the stereotypical symptoms. The only minor pain I have is hip pain when I am sleeping, but that goes away after I get up and moving a little bit in the morning. I also have had some 'hot flashes' that feel more like hot spells because they last so long. I am down to sleeping in light PJs with no comforter and only a sheet because I get so hot. The doctor ensured me that it is just due to the higher levels of progesterone in my system and that will go away. Until then, the air is kept at a cool 71 degrees and the fans are directed right at me during sleep.

We finished the last of our childbirth education classes. Although we still have breastfeeding classes remaining, we feel prepared (as prepared as one could be despite the variety of labors women go through) for labor, delivery, and bringing Lydia home. We really enjoyed the variety of classes we have taken thus far. In general, I think our minds are more at ease knowing what to expect, what is normal, and what variances can occur in labor and delivery. Today's discussion was about C-Sections. The educator of the course made a point to remind us that despite what our ideal delivery may be pictured like in our minds, the goal of the medical staff and of the parents is always a healthy baby. So, despite episiotomies, interventions with medication, or other changes from our perceived notion of what we expect, our main objective is to get Lydia here safely. I think Brett and I are both comfortable with keeping an open mind about the delivery and going with the flow depending on what may or may not be medically necessary to meet Lydia!

In preparation for Lydia, we have started "baby proofing" the house. Although most of the baby proofing won't be necessary until she learns to crawl, we have already put socket covers in all the outlets, have purchased toilet locks, and have moved all medications and chemicals to higher shelves in our closets and cabinets.

My 34 week picture was taken by Erin when she came with me to Color Classics this week. I had to have my picture taken to be included in the Marketeer for an honor I will accept in September. I was nominated for and selected as one of Peoria's 25 Women in Leadership. I will have a vinigette appear on WEEK on one of the 25 days preceding the awards ceremony at the Pere Marquette. I am honored by the award (and excited that I can attend and have a couple weeks to lose at least some of the baby weight before the event).

1 comment:

Angie Grant said...

Glad everything is going so well and that you're still feeling great! Your BIG DAY will be here before you know it and I can hardly wait to meet her!!!