Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

4th of July Weekend

Independence Day

We spent the weekend back in Cedar Rapids with the Ellis family. After getting into town on Thursday night, we ate at Papa Juan's. I had a great chimichanga, but missed the margaritas that seemed to be flowing at every other table that night! On Friday, Brett and I got hair cuts from Colleen and then went boating on Rick and Brittany's Pontoon. We went to Scale's Pointe and enjoyed an afternoon on the water. We were home by 10:30pm that night and were able to get some good sleep. Unfortunately, we woke up to poor, rainy weather on the 4th of July. So, instead of going boating all day long like we planned, we went SHOPPING! I ended up getting some very cute outfits for Lydia at Gap and Carter's. I have since washed and hung them all up. Her bag for the hospital is packed and ready to go. It is complete with a couple options for 'coming home outfits' as well as hats, bows, blankets, socks, and more. My mission today is to work on getting my bag packed.
I digress, before we went shopping, we stopped at Grandma and Grandpa Ellis' house to wish them a happy 4th. The picture below captures the memory. Grandma Mary Lou is thrilled to be welcoming a new little baby to the Ellis family.

After we finished shopping, we made our way to the campground that Brett's family was staying at. The weather began to clear up and the decision was made to do a late boat ride at dusk in Uncle Bruce's boat. After zipping down the lake, we returned to the dock and decided to go back out to watch the fireworks (after a quick restroom stop of course). Watching the fireworks from the lake in the boat was incredible. It was by far the best way to watch the fireworks.
Despite all the fun we had, I was worn out by the end of the night and ready to put on my DD hat and get home. I was exhausted and ready to sleep. We got home around midnight and despite how tired I was, I had a tough night sleeping. Mostly, because of my hips hurting, but also because I began to second guess myself for deciding to ride a bumpy boat because I thought it could hurt Lydia. I slept a lot on Sunday and we eventually made it home to Dunlap. Lydia has been moving like crazy the past two days, so I know she is in there thriving and doing ok.

The past two days I have spent organizing the kitchen and storage room in the basement. Thanks to my handy dandy labeler, everything in the pantry is labeled, Brett's tool chest is labeled and properly organized, and I have begun tackling gathering my donations to Julep's Closet (Junior League's version of a giant garage sale). Needless to say, lots of items accumulate in the basement overtime. I have to say, that is in part to my obsession with Christmas Decor and Christmas Trees. The sad thing is, I can't part with any of it- because I love ALL my Christmas stuff, so I guess I will just have to make room.

I had a fairly productive morning today. I confirmed a meet and greet appointment with the pediatrician for next week. We wanted to meet Dr. Helprin before Lydia's arrival, but have heard nothing but rave reviews of him. We are set to meet him next Tuesday. I also double checked insurance benefits to make sure I was aware of what was covered for me and what needed to be done once Lydia arrives. Bringing a new little one into the world is bound to be a lot of paperwork. I also made an appointment with our friend Tim, to have my eyes examined. Tim is an optometrist in town and I haven't had my eyes checked in a while, so I figured now is as good a time as any. I haven't had any problems and don't wear corrective lenses or glasses, but want to make sure my eyes stay healthy:)

I bought the Medela Pump in Style Breast pump late last week in preparation for breastfeeding. I have to admit the contraption is a little degrading and resembles the machines you may find on a dairy farm. I plan on attending a breastfeeding group this week or next to chat with new moms about using it. Brett and I are also registered for a breastfeeding class that starts next week at Methodist to learn how it all works (one would think it would be straightforward and simple, but I have heard otherwise). After reading the research, it is apparent the breast milk has so many benefits to the baby as well as the mom, so despite my apprehensions, I am excited about the endeavor to bond with Lydia and provide her with what she needs for nutrition.

Oh, and Brett and I have decided to deliver at.........PROCTOR! I had some great advice from many of my friends that have delivered at both Proctor and Methodist, but the deciding factor was when we visited Proctor last week. We just felt like it was the right place for us. Although, I am sure we would love Methodist too. Thanks for everyone's input and advice on this!

No comments: