Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Sunday, July 12, 2009

36 weeks

36 weeks

So today is officially the start of my 36th week. Babycenter.com has this to say about the 36th week.

"Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds (like a crenshaw melon) and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.)"

It is surreal to me that next week, Lydia will be "full term." I am posting some belly pics from this week- but please disregard the tired look. Mind you, it is 10:30pm after a full day in the sun. Brett and I went to the Prairie Air Show today. We also took a walk to our neighborhood park. The walks are becoming shorter and shorter as it becomes more difficult for me to go long distances without a rest. It still feels good to get some exercise and enjoy the night time in the park.



I also wanted to share a picture of an addition to Lydia's room... This is the Pottery Barn Kids chair that Denise and Brittany gave me for the baby shower. I love the polka dots and the fact her name is embroidered on the chair. I know Lydia will enjoy this very much!


Brett and I went and bought some more diapers in anticipation of Lydia. After talking with friends Thursday night, we decided it would be good to spread the cost of diapers over time. I ended up buying two boxes of diapers in two different sizes. We also received a jumbo box from my teacher friends and had some given to us at my most recent shower. I also stocked up on wipes. I think we will be good to go for the first couple months, unless I am completing miscalculating how much she will actually need to be changed or how fast she will grow!

I have been feeling really good this week. Much of my hip pain is gone (or I am just used to it). The only thing I am really experiencing now is some insomnia- I tend to get up 2-3 times a night and can only sleep in 2-3 hour stints. I think this is just my body's way of preparing for those late night feedings and diaper changes with Lydia. Once I get up in the middle of the night, I usually use the bathroom, get a drink of water, and go back to bed. I am so thankful I don't have to get up and actually prepare myself to get anywhere at any specific time, as I don't think I could! It is refreshing to know that when Brett leaves for work in the morning, I can choose to get up if I am ready, or I can rest for a little longer.

This week is a pretty busy week. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow afternoon and will hopefully get some insight into his prediction for when Lydia may arrive (early, on time, late, etc). I will be sure to blog about the doctor's appointment to let you all know if there is any progress or interesting information. On Tuesday, we are meeting with the pediatrician and getting the car seat installed properly at a car seat inspection through the children's hospital. Wednesday, we are attending an Alumni happy hour to discuss the CIBAC board plan as well as going to an epidural and anesthesia class at Proctor to learn about my pain relief options. On Thursday, I have another prenatal massage, PlayHouse Committee Meeting, and then we begin our Breastfeeding Course. Scott and Kirstin are in our class, so I am sure it will be educational as well as fun.

This coming weekend, we are planning on attending a co-worker's wedding and Kirstin's baby shower. I went to get her gift tonight, and ended up buying some more goodies for Lydia as well. This trend will likely continue as I shop for two more baby showers I have coming up for other expectant mamas in the next three weeks!

1 comment:

Angie Grant said...

You look great Mandy and I can't believe your time is getting so close! Sounds like you have a busy few weeks ahead and we look forward to our dinner date next week so we can talk about Landon and Lydia once more before they arrive. :) Glad to hear you are feeling well and everything is going so smoothly!