Glucose Test:
I didn't know what to expect, but it was fairly painless. All I had to do was drink a sugar packed version of orange crush soda and hangout for an hour. The first few sips were actually quite refreshing, but since you have to drink the entire thing in under 5 minutes, the last couple sips were a little much. I got through it though. I then had my regular appointment with my doctor while the time past. Afterwards, the nurse drew my blood and commented on my awesome veins (I am just so proud). The needle didn't even hurt, she was able to draw the blood she needed, and I was done! The results are sent to the hospital and I find out in a few days how it went.Measuring of the Belly:
This seems like a pretty routine type thing to do, except when the doctor goes, "Wow, you've really popped since last time." Well- geez! My belly is measuring at 32.5 centimeters... which is a little bit bigger than it is supposed to. This could be because Lydia finally flipped (which is a good thing and means she isn't breech anymore), there is extra fluid around her, or because she is a big baby... The doctor wants to do a sonogram in two weeks to measure her to make sure everything is on target... Maybe I should lay off the requests for dairy queen blizzards!Question and Answers with the Doctor:
Both doctors are fabulous, but it was nice to chat with Dr. Birkholz today about her experiences as both a doctor and a mother. I had a lot of questions regarding initial steps for breastfeeding, using a pacifier (which I am still trying to put a verdict out on), pregnancy related skin issues, choosing a hospital, and infant CPR. She was, as is Dr. Luan, very thorough and always takes the time to answer questions completely. We are still undecided about which hospital to choose, but I am personally leaning towards Proctor. We will see after all the classes are completed and we are done touring both facilities to make a decision. We also went through a list of pediatricians with the doctor. I will be calling my top two choices this week or early next week to see about availability for new patients and then check out their facilities on my summer vacation.Hearing the Heartbeat:
Dr. Birkholz found our little Lydia's heartbeat after searching all over the belly. The dr. did think that Lydia turned finally because the heartbeat was consistent with the location of a baby that is head down. Yay! Everything sounded good and is moving along smoothly.Next Appointment
All of our appointments will be every two weeks from now until 36 weeks- in which they will then be weekly. Our next appointment will be a sonogram on Friday, June 5th to take measurements of Lydia. I love calling her my little lydia, but after hearing she is measuring big, I will have to think of a new term...Brett
I have to mention Brett's unbelievable support through the entire pregnancy... He has made it to every Dr. appointment and has actively asked questions. It is great to have him at the appointments for reassurance and for the 2nd set of ears that can pick up things I may forget. He is also great at reminding me which questions I have or what other topics I should bring up.On a side note, we are touring PALS (Praise and Leadership School) to see about part time school for Lydia come January. We are pretty sure a family friend will be able to watch her 3 days/week so we are looking for 1-2 more days. We go on our tour in early June to check it out. They offer research and scientifically based curriculum for infants through school aged students. I have heard nothing but great things about them and am excited to check it out.
2 comments:
YAY!!! So glad to hear Lydia is healthy and growing, and glad your appt. went well!
I used to work at the PALS at St. Francis. I loved it! If we lived in Peoria I would definitely consider sending the boys there!
Post a Comment