Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Things They don't tell you about being Pregnant

So many things have happened this past 20 weeks that I thought I would mention a few of the things I was not told before I became pregnant.

1. You can feel hungry and nauseous and full all at the same time. You may feel like you can eat that huge steak, but when it comes to the table, all you want is a salad or a plate of mushrooms.

2. You can feel fine one minute and be in the bathroom the next. In particular, make sure you eat something before you drink pink lemonade.

3. Sleep deprivation occurs long before the baby comes. Even before you have a significant belly, your body will ache and sleeping gets progressively more uncomfortable. Invest in a preggo pillow.

4. Feeling the little jabs and movements in your belly is such an awesome experience that words cannot describe.

5. Waiting to find out the sex of the baby will feel like an eternity and when you find out what it is, it doesn't matter anyways- because either way- it is still a miracle.

6. Shopping for crib mattresses is more difficult when the lady at the counter tells you that a bunch have been recalled for exposure to lead.

7. The moment you learn that your pregnant, the worrying begins. There are moments of joy and elation about the miracle growing, but concerns are also inevitable. I think it is natural to want the best for the baby and worry about what could happen. Reading pregnancy books and message boards is a blessing and a curse. You can feel educated and informed or become to aware of all the things that can go wrong. These feelings can occur simultaneously.

8. You will never want to eat a hot dog, fish, or lunch meat, until you see it on the list of things not to eat while you are expecting- then you will crave them all the time!

9. Comparing your growing baby to a piece of fruit or celebrating the fact that the baby is now 6 inches can be exciting and big news!

10. You will be amazed at how your relationship between you and your husband changes immediately. Watching your husband talk to your belly will tug at your heartstrings. He may not completely understand what is going on inside, but he is just as excited to meet the little one.

2 comments:

shelly hernandez said...

Wait until the labor,delivery and after birth....theres a MILLION things they don't tell you and that you don't expect!!! Seriously....!! SOOOOOOO many things. Good thing you have a sister thats been through it and will tell you the cold hard truth! If you want to know that is...!!

Angie Grant said...

Love your list!! I agree with you...I would have never known half of this stuff before...it's so crazy & amazing how much your body changes.
#8 - you CAN eat hot dogs, fish and lunch meat...I've eaten them ALL. You just have to make sure they are cooked completely. I eat a turkey sandwich literally every day! :)