Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Our Little Lady



Lydia has grown into such a little lady. I haven't taken the time to sit down and detail some of her developmental milestones, so I am going to attempt to capture some of my favorites:

-Lydia has an ever-expanding vocabulary. I know there are nay-sayers to using sign language with toddlers, but Lydia is able to communicate both verbally and with sign language. It is truly becoming a second language for her. She will always say the word that she is signing, so it is not delaying her speech. I love that she can communicate higher order concepts through her signs. She is learning her alphabet and numbers with signing now. She knows all her colors, animals, transportation concepts, and food, and family signs. If I had to estimate, I would venture to say she knows well over 250 signs. My favorite is when she signs FAMILY or I LOVE YOU.

-Her speech is so darn cute. She is mimicking most of what we say and is adding to her vocabulary at a rapid pace. Just this weekend she started saying "Beautiful." With her little toddler speech, it is so adorable! She is speaking in "paragraphs.' She tells us stories about her day, asks questions (mostly why?) remembers EVERYTHING and is overall, just awesome!

-Lydia had started to attribute certain places with certain people. When we go to the church, she will say "Abbey, Dance, bubbles, fun!" because that is where she has sign language class. When we pulled into Sam's Club the other day, she said "Oma, Opa, Hot Dog!" Needless to say, when we go to Sam's, Gary and Denise are often with us and Lydia usually eats a hot dog for lunch or dinner when we go there.

-Her love of books continues to grow. She has favorites. "Go, Dog, Go" is one of them. One of my favorites is "You are My Sunshine." I love reading it to her and I love even more when she brings it to me and says "sunshine, me!"

-Speaking of "me," Lydia has definitely learned the words me, my and mine. In particular she knows "my turn." She will share, but typically wants to have whatever she shared back rather quickly.

-She is sleeping in her big girl bed and doing great!

-Potty training is going. Not bad-Not Great, but going. She wears underwear at her sitter's house. She has many successes and we work with the accidents. Honestly, not my favorite parenting adventure, but I do love seeing her excitement when she has a success. She is thrilled with herself. We celebrate and she gets a treat. Although, she has been known to be proud of herself when her potty time ends in a puddle as well. We'll continue to work on that.

-Lydia is a Hawkeye Fan. She recognizes the Iowa Logo and can tell you what to say when she sees Herkey. We can't wait for football season! It's only a week away. I unpacked her Iowa Gear today. She has some new outfits to include in her wardrobe for the fall football season as well.

-Lydia's Halloween costume has been purchased. Miss Lydia will be a cupcake. She's already sweet in my book though!

-I have so much more to say, but I am dragging and I have to work a full day before going to class all night. Lucky for me, my journey to my administrative certificate has an end in sight! I can only look forward to what lies ahead in my career.

No comments: