Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Peoria Zoo


Today was the first day this entire week that our plans weren't spoiled by rolling rain clouds and less than ideal weather. Therefore, Lydia and I were able to enjoy our day outside! After we ran some errands to the bank and to Bradley, Lydia and I went to the Peoria Zoo. I have some free passes to use this summer and wanted to take advantage of them. I didn't realize adult admission to the zoo was $8.50! Whereas that doesn't seem expensive when you compare it to Brookfield or Milwaukee zoos, it is astronomical when you consider what you get for it at the Peoria Zoo. I do LOVE the new AFRICA! exhibit, but other than that, there is not much at the zoo. Despite my soapbox about admission prices, it is a great place to spend an hour or two in the summer months and Lydia is getting to the age that she can enjoy the animals. Last week, we spent some time at Niabi Zoo in the Quad Cities, so I was eager to bring her to the Peoria Zoo.
We spent some time on the baby swings near the tennis courts after we went around the zoo. Lydia LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to swing! While at the zoo, Lydia took interest in the zebras more than the other animals. I think the contrast in their coloring appealed to her. She thought they were HILARIOUS! She liked the giraffes at Niabi, but not as much here. She appeared to think they were interesting, but not funny like the zebras. We spent a good amount of time at the Koi pond and by the meerkats as well. Lydia would just laugh as the fish swam and loved looking at the mini waterfall as well.


I truly can't believe how quickly summer is going. I am really soaking in each day with my little girl and treasuring the fact that I get to spend this quality time with her EVERY summer.

No comments: