Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Monday, May 31, 2010

Learning to Crawl

Lydia has slowly become a mobile crawler! Her technique still needs to be perfected, but she can get to anywhere she wants to go. She is most fascinated by water bottles and cell phones. Those two items are usually strong motivation for her to maneuver across a room. She will also roll to where she wants to go. Her method of movement depends upon her mood, desired speed, and location of desired object.

When Lydia is not crawling, she is perfectly content to sit and play with a small selection of toys. Her miniature kitchen can entertain her solidly for 30 minutes. She is learning to place her "ice cubes" in the freezer and press the button to retrieve them. Her other favorite toys of the moment are her farm "touch and feel" book, pop up toy, and triangle toy. She is also content when given ANYTHING she can place in her mouth. Of course, we have to limit those objects to appropriate objects (an edible or non-destructible). She also loves her bath toys to chew on.

I'm still in awe that Lydia can locate her pacifier in the dark of her bedroom at night and replace it in her mouth independently. Despite the fact that Lydia has been a great sleeper, there were evenings that we were required to wake up to do just that chore of replacing her paci. Now, without fussing, Lydia can locate her paci in her crib, replace it, and fall back to sleep without waking us up.

Since tonight was Lydia's first night back in 3 nights, I had to cuddle with her before she went to bed. We watched the fan go around in circles, giggled, and chatted about her weekend. I put her in her crib while she was still awake and she fell asleep shortly thereafter. About an hour and a half later, I picked her up out of her crib, just to rock and cuddle with her for my own benefit and unbeknown to her. I don't think I will ever stop that. Her little sighs, little hands, and little fingers are all too perfect. I am still in awe of her each day.

No comments: