Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Sunday, February 21, 2010

29 Weeks

I have to laugh when I take these weekly pictures now because you can't even see the "Lydia" embroidered on the back of the chair because "Little" Lydia takes up the whole chair now! I love the first picture below because you can really see Lydia's newly formed pearly whites. She has had them for just over a month and has adjusted well to them. It was funny to watch her first drink a bottle after her teeth came in because she was compensating for the new space that was taken up by her teeth. She would smack her lips... It was too cute!


I read that fine motor skills develop more rapidly at this age than gross motor skills. I would agree based on my one observation of Lydia's ability to eat puffs. Last night I had blogged that Lydia wasn't coordinated enough to get the puffs into her mouth, but this morning I gave her some puffs in her high chair while I ate cereal, and she was eating them left and right! I couldn't believe it!

Watching Lydia attempt to crawl/scoot/move has also been a source of entertainment. Whereas she isn't close to crawling, she has been scooting around in circles or even backwards! She can usually get to where she wants to go by this method (i.e. to a toy), but it is not a very efficient practice for her. I have a feeling we won't be getting much more rolling out of Lydia. She is sitting up on her own now without support. I read that this happens with some babies; they just skip the rolling phase. Lydia has/does roll over, but I think chooses not to most of the time. She is completely content on her back or tummy or whatever position you put her in most of the time.

It is amazing to me to think that even at this young of age, Lydia can develop a preference for toys or other items, but she has her favorites. When she is sitting up she LOVES the triangle toy that she can move pieces around. When she is in her carseat or bouncer seat, she loves to 'eat' her star blanket or elephant crinkle toy. I know these are good standbys and they are usually packed whenever I get the diaper bag together.

When Kirstin came over last night, I was laughing as Brett was upstairs changing Lydia. I don't think either of us were prepared at the variances in "poop" that come along with changes in babies' diets. Now that Lydia has tried so many different foods, her poops demonstrate those changes. They are much smellier and thicker. How I miss the days of breastmilk only poops! Those were so much easier to clean up and less stinky...and you knew what to expect when you open the diaper up... Now, it's like "a box of chocolates... you never know what you're going to get!"

Lydia is still in her infant carseat... Word to moms out there... keep them in their infant seats as long as possible... especially in the cold weather! I attempted to use the 'big girl' carseat after we bought it because I was so excited and it was soooo cute, but it is a hassle to get her in it with a large coat and keep her warm! Her infant seat goes up to 22 pounds, so we are going to keep her in there until the last possible time... At least while it is still cold out. It is so much easier to get her in and out and keep her covered and away from the elements. Also, if she falls asleep in the car, I don't have to wake her up to get her out of the seat... another bonus!

My new shopping venture will be to find a reliable and safe portable high chair. I saw a man and little boy at Buffalo Wild Wings with one and I thought it was awesome! There are so many restaurants now that have pub top or tall tables that high chairs aren't high enough! I want Lydia to be able to share in meal time, so I figured I needed to get one. I am going to check at Toys-r-Us sometime this week as they had a coupon in their circular, but I am going to read reviews on the brand they have first.

1 comment:

Nina said...

I love long posts ;-) Isn't that crazy how they can't do one thing one day and all of a sudden they're doing it the next like grabbing the puffs?! Johannah never really rolled over either, she did it but rarely. She didn't seem too interested in it. You'll get a kick of the poops...Nick is lucky enough that he doesn't even change any diapers! You'll have to tell me what you think when she eats corn or mandarin oranges ;-) I'm also in the process of printing off books for Johananh's 1st bday...it takes so much time to organize it all! I actually have one of those portable high chairs..that's what we use at home. We have a Chicco brand and we love it.