Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Friday, August 7, 2009

Coming Home

Today was Lydia's homecoming and seeing as how we (Lydia and I) were scheduled to come home yesterday from Proctor, she only spent one extra day at the hospital. It was such a relief and a thrill to watch the nurse pull the last monitoring wires off Lydia. For the first time I could walk around the room holding my daughter! After we got the go ahead to head home, we were really motivated to pack up her things and hit the road!
Daddy and Lydia at the NICU before getting ready to head home:
No IVs or monitors attached!Mommy and Lydia just before leaving the NICU!Lydia secured in her carseat and ready to go home!

The nurses assistant walked us out to the car (I could get used to being carted around and catered to). I sat in the back with her to watch her in amazement that we were actually bringing a live little being home. Brett was cautious as he pulled out of the parking deck and around every turn. We stopped at Popeye's for a drive-thru lunch and Brett joked about buying Lydia a kids' meal.

We made it safely home (albeit was raining a little bit). Daddy opened the door and we took Lydia up to the bedroom. She nursed and then we all took a little nap before Grandma and Grandpa Pierce stopped by for a short visit. We are still trying to get all of the "goodies" unpacked from the hospital. It was amazing how much stuff they send you home with and we got double- from Proctor and OSF. She is set with disposable nursers, extra diapers, wipes, ointments, ect. They also sent us home with tons of handouts, pamphlets, and follow-up information. A good majority of the rest of the afternoon was spent just holding and spending time with Lydia. I still can't believe she is really here!
Mommy and Lydia bonding at home the first night

The first night home, we celebrated with a pizza party with Oma and Opa Ellis and Uncle Burliss and a walk to the park. It was nice to get outside and Lydia did well in her first stroller ride! It was a relatively short walk for Brett and I, as it was quite breezy and I am still recovering from labor.
Our first walk to Northtrail Park!

The first night home, I took a nap after I fed her at 9pm and was preparing myself for a long night. Good thing I did! Lydia came up to eat again at 11:45pm and then was up again throughout the night. A lot of the time she was just fussy and didn't want to eat, but some of the time she did. As much as it was exhausting, I was still in awe and wonder starring at her throughout the night. I didn't mind so much getting up with her as I was happy just to have her home and healthy. Dad did get up at one point to change her. He has been wonderful on this daddy duty. He is gentle and makes sure Lydia is as comfortable as she can be while he is changing her.

3 comments:

Angie Grant said...

So glad Lydia is home and healthy! We look forward to meeting her next week!!

Nina said...

YAY she's home! Hope everything is going well! I'm sure you still can't believe she's here!!

The Stansfield's said...

I am so glad that she is finally home. She is so adorable and I am looking forward to keep reading about you and your little girl. COngrats again.