Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

38 1/2 week appointment

I had a doctor's appointment with Dr. B. today at 3:10. My wait was literally less than 5 minutes before the nurse called me in for blood pressure and weight checks. Then Dr. B was in the examination room before Brett could even get there! Dr. B and I were discussing some questions I had and Brett made it before the exam began. Dr. B listened to the heartbeat and measured my belly, both of which were on target. Then she performed an internal examination. She was a little more 'aggressive' than Dr. Luan and caused a lot of pressure, but she was able to check to make sure there was no amniotic fluid leaking and that the baby's head was head down. The baby is still 'sitting high.' The Doctor said that this could be due to a variety of factors; a big baby, Lydia being turned, or a number of other factors. She did mention that babies that don't "drop" may need to be delivered via c-section. She mentioned this just to keep us aware of possible outcomes, not because she thinks that is where we are headed. She reiterated the fact that our ultimate goal is to deliver a healthy baby and that may require intervention or methods that we aren't expecting so we need to keep our minds open to the entire experience.

I am currently 2 centimeters dilated and 60% effaced. I have my next appointment on Wednesday of next week at 9am. This will be a standard internal examination. If I don't have the baby by then, they will also schedule a sonogram and non-stress test to make sure the baby is measuring ok and is not in any distress. Dr. B mentioned that even though the baby is sitting high, this doesn't mean that labor isn't just around the corner... Many of her patients aren't dilated or effaced and end up calling that night or the next day in labor. So, the waiting continues.

Just because I was confused as to what effacement was and meant before our childbirth classes, I thought I would share what effacement means. The American Pregnancy Association has this to say about effacement:

What is effacement?

Effacement is the process by which the cervix prepares for delivery. After the baby has engaged in the pelvis, it gradually drops closer to the cervix; the cervix gradually softens, shortens and becomes thinner. You may hear phrases like "ripens," or "cervical thinning" which refer to effacement.

How is effacement measured?

Effacement is measured in percentages. For example, your health care provider may tell you that you are effaced 50%, which means you are half way to being completely effaced. When you are 100% effaced or completely effaced, your cervix is paper-thin and labor is right around the corner.

How will I know if and when I am effaced?

In your final weeks of pregnancy your health care provider will routinely check for effacement, and as soon as you arrive at your birth location, you will be checked for effacement. If you are a first time mom, your cervix will usually efface before it dilates. If you are a second time mom, your cervix will usually dilate before effacement.

No comments: