Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Preschool

I had to take a sick day at work to go to a dentist appointment. My appointment wasn't until 10 am, so I had time to take Lydia to preschool and visit in her classroom for the first time since she started. What a wonderful experience! I enjoyed seeing where Lydia learns on her days at school as well as interact with some of her classmates and teachers. The same day I visited preschool, we had her first parent/teacher conference. I didn't know what to expect seeing as how it was for a two-year old, but her teacher was professional and gave us a lot of insight into Lydia's skills at school. Some of the key points of the conference were:
  • Lydia is meeting all age appropriate developmental milestones.
  • Lydia is the only child in her class that holds a pencil appropriately. This is a skill that many kids don't meet until they are 4. The special education teacher in me is proud:)
  • Lydia's favorite 'centers' at school are literacy and art. She engages in book reading and 'writing' most frequently.
  • Lydia's self-control is continuing to develop. She has gotten better about initiating play and playing appropriately. You know what that means? She is not biting any more! That makes me the most excited!
  • Lydia knows and can recognize the letters of the alphabet both in sequence and when presented letters randomly. Again, I thank sign language for helping us with this skill.

No comments: