Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Monday, July 12, 2010

Sunday/Monday...

We inflated the pool that Brett's Aunt Deb gave Lydia back in October. It is one of the coolest baby pools I have seen and we are so thankful for this gift! I was especially excited when I told Brett I was going to go buy one and then realized we had this one in the basement! Lydia loves it because it is fun and she gets to play in the water. I love it because it keeps her out of the sun by shading her with it's canopy! We have it set up on our deck and it is easy access for a quick dip.

We used it Sunday, but we also used it today. Lydia had her first "time out" resulting from her time in the pool today. It was time to go inside since Lydia had been in the pool for quite awhile. She was getting cold, but still wanted to play. I took her out of the pool to dry her off and take her inside. Apparently, she wanted to play longer. She threw a major fit! When she had these tantrums, I have previously distracted her with other toys or experiences, but she was not having that. She wanted back in the pool! That wasn't going to be an option, so I placed her in her crib until she decided to calm down. Once I left the room, she cried maybe 1 more minute, and then decided she wanted to play something else. I felt it was effective and we both we able to move on from the episode. I was proud of myself for not giving in and allowing her to play in her pool any longer.


Today, we had a 'play date' at the Peoria Zoo. Abbey was doing sign language story time and some of our friends were going to be there. We enjoyed a snack and story in Glen Oak Park before we made our way into Peoria Zoo. We learned all the signs for zoo and farm animals. I love the elephant sign and the giraffe sign! Lydia liked tiger and snake.
Amelia, a co-worker of mine, brought her son and we enjoyed catching up on our summer activities and happenings. It is always nice to hear and chat about what other mommies are going through and experiencing. Neither of us are looking forward to a return to work in just a few short weeks!
Later this evening, Lydia had swim lessons. Brett went in with her this time. I have to say, she is a fish and loves the water. She independently puts her face in the water, splashes continuously, and is adventurous to try new things. I love watching her! I start back with classes tomorrow. Lydia will be going to the sitter two days per week for a few hours while I am at class. I think it will be a good transition back to my school schedule. I have morning and evening class, but Brett will be able to be with her in the evenings.


No comments: