Ellis: Table for Four

Ellis: Table for Four

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sewing Projects

I have come from a long line of crafty women. My mom, aunts, and grandma are all crafty in their own special ways. Grandma completed many crocheted afghans, my aunts enjoy needle point and cross stitching, and my mom has done a little bit of everything. As a young girl, I took sewing lessons at Granny Quilts, a local sewing store in my hometown. Upon the arrival of Lydia, and looking at what was available for little girls, I noticed that there was a lot of potential for me to design and create various items for Lydia. I started my adventures in sewing by asking for a sewing machine for Christmas. With the necessary equipment in place, I strategized my projects. First up, was to adorn simple burp cloths. Once I was comfortable with sewing a straight line (easier said than done), I decided to embark on my first "real project." The fruits of my labor are demonstrated below in the 4th of July Themed Dress for Lydia. Regardless of its imperfect edges or seams, I am very proud of my creation because I was able to accomplish it, relatively unaided by my mom. I picked out the pattern, material, and ribbon independently. I cut the pattern, sewed the seems, and completed the majority of the dress. My mom helped complete the finishing touches of the hem. I am excited for future projects this summer!


My mom has been sewing for years. I asked her to help me create Lydia's Birthday Dress. The result is below! I love it!

No comments: